Friday, May 30, 2008

Karma and Blood

This week I started this thing where I allow my self $10 a day. I want to see how that goes. Since Monday, it has been suprisingly easy, even to the point where I spent less than $10 a couple of days in a row.

The allowance does not include regular bills, the monthly grocery run, one date a week or the gas fill-ups (and i have to keep my tank 3/4 full at all times).

In this time, I have learned to manage my time a little better so that I can cook breakfast in the morning, make a sandwich for lunch, and cook dinner if needed.

Of course, I have noticed unforeseen benefits already manifesting themselves. I am able to better watch what I eat. No more mindless grazing at the office vending machine. My snacks are trail mix (from the grocery allowance) and I drink much more water to curb my appetite.

When it comes down to it, there is not much I need from day-to-day that would cause me to have to spend $10 a day. Looking back on how this week went, I realized that if I stop eating fastfood and other restaurants, and stop buying t-shirts, magazines, beer cozies or other unnecessary things - $10 dollars a day is a cake walk.

..And I also notice the saving add up pretty quickly!
__________________________________________________ _______________

Today and Saturday, however, I had planned to go to the movies. I planned to see "Indiana Jones" with a coworker on Saturday and take my girl to see "Sex and the City" tonight.

Obviously this would have presented a problem for the experiment I am conducting - even with the extra dollars I have rolled over from one day to the next.

I considered this on my way home from work. As I drove and thought, I noticed a blood donation truck in the Sears parking lot. They were giving away t-shirts for blood donations. I said "What the hell, might as well."

I go in, fill out the paperwork and wait my turn. As I wait, one of the nurses ask me if it would be too uch of an inconvience if I went to their other blood donation site. One of their workers had to leave so they were closing this one to replace to other van.

I didn't mind so I said "Sure, no problem" The other van was only on the other side of the parking lot. So I put my top back on and drive over to the other site.

The van was parked right next to the movie theater and when they finished resetting everything, she opened the door. When I walked in, she said she was glad that I didn't leave and not comeback (apparently some people are dicks and would do something like that. Me, I had nowhere I needed to be.)

So I sit there get my blood taken, drink free apple juice, and read a magazine. When I get ready to leave she give me a tshirt and, "since I was so nice" she also hands me a movie ticket good for any movie.

So now, I am feeling good because I don't have to buy my "Indiana Jones" ticket and I have a free tshirt.

When I get home, there is a note on the kitchen counter from the wife. She and a few of the other neighborhood women are gonna have a "Ladies Night Out" - which I am pretty sure will involve them going to see "Sex and the City."

I am very happy with how this day is going.

No comments: